Sunday, January 20, 2013

I'm going to take a moment to brag.

Mostly because I am truly amazed by my daughter, I am going to take a moment to unabashedly brag about her. Obviously, most of her accomplishments have very little to do with me (even when I would love to believe otherwise). But, that fact doesn't take away from how amazing she truly is.

Some of the reasons I am so blown away by this girl:

She's recently talk herself to use a spoon-- both correctly and effectively. And, she's working on the use of a fork, which is going impressively well. And, all of this has taken place despite my consistent failure to provide the proper utensils at meal times. She literally has to remind me at each meal, usually as soon as she sees my utensils and points. Thank goodness someone is making sure she meets those developmental milestones.


She is as stubborn as EVER! This morning I asked her if she knew where eggs come from and she looked at me blankly. Then I reminded her they come from chickens and asked her what chickens say, to which she answered "bock bock". Then, I asked her if she could say "chicken" and she looked at me like I was stupid and impatiently said "bock bock". (We've resorted to calling chicken "bock bock" in our household for the last six months, since she started referring to it as such.) She's no dummy, there's no way she's going out of her way to say something new when she gets the same result from the tried and true.

She's teaching herself new words-- even if it means she has to glean them fro television and not from our rather extensive conversations about, well just about everything (refer to post about TV and the word turtle for more on that). Today she has already demonstrated that she can, in fact, say "more" --though she refuses to do so on a daily basis. I asked if she wanted more oatmeal and she responded with "more". New words and healthy breakfast choices! My kids destined for great things.

My baby girl is also becoming an adept socialite. Last night I dropped her off at my parents house so she could spend some time with her aunt, grandmother, and great-aunt. Walking into a rather loud setting was overwhelming at first, but that little booger went straight for her buddy, the dog, and when I arrived later to pick her up (WAY past her bedtime) she had settled in to the point of not wanting to leave. It's better than I can do in most social settings (thank goodness she doesn't have my social abilities, or lack thereof).

Lastly (for this post at least) is my girl's friendliness and polite behavior. She recently learned the word "please", so now when she asks for her "ba" (sippy cup, or really any cup) she says "ba peas". It is the most ridiculously cute thing in the WORLD. Plus, she's getting really great at timing when she says "bye bye" to people. It's pretty awesome to hear her yell "hi" and "bye bye" at people until they respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment