Friday, November 9, 2012

Home Sick

No, not homesick. Today the little one and I are at home and she is, very unfortunately, sick.

I've known she had a cold for a couple of days, but this morning when I changed her diaper and she was extremely warm, I knew she was getting a bit sicker. Then, after a shower and some Children's Tylenol to cool her down, I took her "auxiliary temperature" (i.e. the armpit way) --which is a fancy way of saying I'm still too chicken to take her temperature rectally if I have any other option-- and she had a fever of 99.4 degrees (Fahrenheit).

So after her bath and temperature-taking, I only put her in a diaper and she proceeded to throw a legitimate tantrum (on the floor, kicking, screaming, diaper-pulling-off) so I got a little worried that she might be sicker than I thought and I proceeded to do some internet research to see when other people suggest taking a child to the ER and it turns out it's not at 99.4 degrees. Plus, she's proven that she is in no way lethargic, so we're sticking it out for awhile at home and she'll probably be okay to go to Grandma & Grandpa's house today while I go to work... but I'm prepping lesson plans just in case.

In the meantime, my little tantrum-thrower has kicked the dog out of the upstairs dog bed, and she's playing a game with her dirty laundry from yesterday (I guess this is also the point where I have to thank my husband for not remembering to put those dirty clothes in the hamper-- otherwise, I might still have a tantrum on my hands).

The grossness of her little naked booty on the dog bed is being overshadowed by the fact she's  content!



When all is said and done, the good news is, I have photographic evidence of her diaper rash having cleared-up.



Miss Clear Booty

Now, I should probably get off the computer... my child is attempting to open a package of Q-Tips, and she's eyeing the scissors as I type...

Just in case anyone happens across this post while looking for information about child fevers/ temperatures, here is a list of resources I have found helpful in the past.

How to Read a Child's Temp
Fever Management for Low Grade Fevers
Is 99.4 really considered a fever?
American Academy of Pediatrics Healthy Children Website

No comments:

Post a Comment